I woke up this morning to the sounds of our dog Lucky retching and vomiting. She is ill, terminally.
We received a phone call from our vet yesterday about the lab results from her visit on Wednesday. It turns out that Lucky has end-stage kidney failure secondary to Lyme disease. We could have had her hospitalized, but the ultimate outcome would remain the same.
So, we face the inevitable, like every other person who has allowed an animal to become part of their family. The sad realization that we will outlive her is slowly dawning. She's been our only baby and she is such a pleasant door greeter. All she has ever really wanted from us is love and affection. I do hope we've given her enough.
So, for now we are trying to coax her to eat, attempting to keep her symptoms at bay to keep her comfortable and loved until we think she is suffering. Then the vet throws out that word "euthanize" like it is a pleasant word. I believe in the practice and understand it's place, but that word sounds so cruel, and the action of doing it is such a hard thing. It's difficult to feel like there is anything "good" about it.
So the story goes. This friend has been with us for so long it's hard to imagine our life without her. I know she'll leave an empty space behind.
We received a phone call from our vet yesterday about the lab results from her visit on Wednesday. It turns out that Lucky has end-stage kidney failure secondary to Lyme disease. We could have had her hospitalized, but the ultimate outcome would remain the same.
So, we face the inevitable, like every other person who has allowed an animal to become part of their family. The sad realization that we will outlive her is slowly dawning. She's been our only baby and she is such a pleasant door greeter. All she has ever really wanted from us is love and affection. I do hope we've given her enough.
So, for now we are trying to coax her to eat, attempting to keep her symptoms at bay to keep her comfortable and loved until we think she is suffering. Then the vet throws out that word "euthanize" like it is a pleasant word. I believe in the practice and understand it's place, but that word sounds so cruel, and the action of doing it is such a hard thing. It's difficult to feel like there is anything "good" about it.
So the story goes. This friend has been with us for so long it's hard to imagine our life without her. I know she'll leave an empty space behind.
3 comments:
It brings tears to our eyes--she has been such a lovable pup-she kind of creeps into your heart. It is so sad to think of you guys without Lucky-you see she truly was a "lucky" dog. I preferred her nickname-Luckshire!! I know you'll give her the best-we know how hard it is to lose a good friend. She even won Grandpa & Grandma Muckala's hearts!! Sending our tears, Mom & Dad
How sad! We'll miss the luck dog. I hope she doesn't feel too bad. It must be very difficult for both of you.
So sorry to hear about Lucky... Pets take a place in your heart that is beyond words... I remember when our first dog died, you feel like a piece of you has died along with them...people who don't have pets just don't understand the love and compassion felt by pet owners. Dogs really are mans best friend! Especially when that "friend" has been a sorce of comfort and and helps to fill a place that is missing in your heart. We are sending prayers your way.
love and kisses
Post a Comment