Thursday, January 25, 2007

PTX

PTX is medical short-hand for pneumothorax, which I was diagnosed with today! Yep, I can hardly believe it either! For those of you who don't know, pneumothorax is free air between your lung pleurae, which means that my lung can't expand all the way. I started having sharp back pain yesterday, then it moved into my right upper shoulder area and I felt this heavy pressure in the middle of my chest. I took ibuprofen, thinking at first that it was muscular pain. I woke up the morning with the pain still there, especially when I coughed or took a deep breath. My MD did a CXR (chest xray) and we were both surprised at the findings. So, I can't work my normal 12 hr weekend shifts this weekend, and I'm to lay low. No heavy lifting etc... I go for another CXR in the am, and another on Monday am. If I get any shortness of breath (SOB), pain, or trouble breathing I have to go to the ED to have a chest tube put in to re-expand the lung. Funny, but not funny. PTX occur in different people for different reasons. Mine is a "spontaneous pneumothorax," which normally occur in tall men<40 yrs of age. They just occur with out trauma or any other reason. I am neither tall, nor male. Go figure. Anyway, for those of you who have had or have seen chest tubes, I really do not want one unless I can't breathe, in which case I don't have a choice.
So, I guess I'll be reading, knitting, and watching TV all weekend. I better find a little bell to ring when I want to eat!!!

4 comments:

Angela said...

Yikes! Guess a massage isn't going to get rid of that. Be careful and take it easy!!

Anonymous said...

jenny! Please let me know if you need any company this weekend!!! I'll be thinking of you and glad you went to the Dr. to find out what was causing the pain. Love ya!

Jenny said...

Hey Girls-yeah, I knew something was wrong. Esp. since it didn't go away. Looking back, i remember thinking "If I collapse at the MOA at least people are around." "At least at Angie's my friends are there if I need help." I guess my body knew something wasn't right. Thanks for your thoughts!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you're taking it easy. I just explained to Curt what PTX is and as a tall man under 40 he's now wondering if he has had it in the past. Jeff better take good care of you this weekend.