Thursday, August 9, 2007

Spirit

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were spent at a workshop/retreat for work called "Reigniting the Spirit." One of the objectives was to re-kindle the spirits of nurses. About 35 nurses from HCMC attended, and it was an eye opening experience. It was therapy. We had to talk about ourselves, do assessments on our own mind/body/spirit balance etc.... I felt some discomfort talking about my joy deficits and struggles with my "spirit" lately, but it was good to self evaluate.
In any case, I re-learned the importance of self-care. The importance of "me", and how I need to keep my self in balance so I can care for patients and their families. The source of caring has to be replenished. It was a treat to spend three days "Reigniting the Spirit," and I've found a re-newed pride and joy in the work that I do. I am glad to have the 6 day stretch of work done!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Well I hope this weekend is more "spirit replenishing". I can't wait to see you and Jeff and of course Tony is itching for some male interaction!

Jina said...

I wish our hospital would have a spirit renewal program. I know of many nurses in need of a little self evaluation of their spirit, including me :) Sounds like it was beneficial!!

Anonymous said...

That sounds amazing! I am a firm believer in mental health days and this sounds like it would qualify! I do think that sometimes a person's spirt does get lost in the shuffle of daily life, and it is hard to do remember to take time for yourself... because you spend the majority of your time caring for others- whether it be patients or family members...I am so happy you had the opportunity to go!

The camping pictures you posted with Jason and Sara's girls were adorable! We are planning on camping next weekend thursday-sunday with Weston's family... Missy and Chuck just bought a new camper and are itching it try it out...The girls are excited and it should be "interesting" to say the least!