Monday, May 14, 2007

Too Close to Home

Last week while at work, a fellow nurse asked if I could assist some surgeons in her patients room. The patient was needing a chest tube and the nurse didn't have time to monitor him while this was happening. So, I said "No problem, I can do that." The resident surgeon had given the patient medications for pain and sedation, so I was monitoring vital signs and assiting with what I could. During the procedure the staff surgeon came in to observe his resident in action. It wasn't until the resident started numbing up the chest wall of this patient with lidocaine that it occurred to me that perhaps I shouldn't watch a procedure I may someday need. I told myself that I'd be fine, the patient was asleep, all was well.
As soon as the resident made the incision into the patient's chest wall a huge gush of air escaped, the patient aroused and the resident kept digging through the chest wall to let the air escape. I felt the blood drain from my face and didn't want to faint in a patient's room in front of 2 surgeons. I excused myself when the flexible chest tube was inserted into the patient's side and the surgeon was inserting the "introducer" through the it. As soon as I sat down a wave of heat and sweating passed through my body. After a minute or so I was fine. But I had to reappear to the surgeons so they wouldn't think I was too affected by the ordeal, and the staff surgeon said "Of all the procedures we do, that is one that is still the most barbaric." All I could think of was getting another pneumothorax and needing a chest tube.
I've decided that I will not have a chest tube placed unless I am under general sedation or I am dying! That was not a procedure I needed to see to enhance my years of nursing. It hit a little too close to home!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good story, Jenny! Not fun to watch, is it? I too hope I never have to have those procedures where they seem to BORE a hole into you: thoracentesis, paracentesis, chest tubes, bone marrow biopsies with large-bore needles, etc. Altho' I have had a lumbar puncture. Luckily, I didn't feel a thing, the doc did a good job! I have assisted with patients in all of the above when they do seem to feel everything. And I have assisted docs who don't seem to have much confidence in what they are doing! THAT is scary!
Medicine. A fun world, huh?!
(From your 'nurse' aunt)

Michelle said...

Well I will be praying you don't ever have to have a chest tube placed also. I'm sure the surgeon telling you it was "the most barbaric" was a nice topping on the cake. Well I hope you don't have to be a part of that procedure again, assisting or otherwise.

Anonymous said...

well, all I can say is that if anyone bores a hole in my daughter's chest they better be proficient or I know the number to call!! I just pray that won't happen. Love You-a close admirer

Jenny said...

It's so fun to have nurses in the family!!! Love you guys!
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Icky Jenny! I think I would have passed out for sure. That's why I like my blood in a tube.