Sunday, January 14, 2007
Good Grief
I walked into a local coffee shop today, and waited behind a young teenage girl and and elderly gentleman. The girl was blond and had a trendy little coat on. She ordered some sweet "cooler" drink, and the elderly gentleman pulled out his money to pay for it, but didn't order anything himself. I was suddenly struck by how lucky this little girl was, not because her coffee was paid for, but because she had a grandpa who loved her. The elderly man was her grandfather, and he was spoiling his granddaughter. It really made me miss my grandpa. He died more than 2 years ago, and there I was in a coffee shop getting teary eyed and missing him. I wanted to tell that girl how lucky she is. As I walked out of the shop, they were pulling away and the man smiled at me. I got into my car and started crying. I felt so silly, but who can say when grief will hit? If only we could go back in time to fully appreciate the present. It would be so nice to let my grandpa buy me a tank of gas again. What a good man! Love you Gramps! Miss you too!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Jenny- Welcome to the blogworld, it's easy to get lost in it. You are a very prolific writer; enjoyed reading a glimpse into your heart. Loved the entry and can totally relate.
I wish you guys the Best for 2007
~ Robin H.
To my Sobrina (enamorado):
I cried when I read this. I miss him so much. (Think how Gma must miss him!) Grief for Gpa (my Daddy) hits me at the funniest times also. I wish I could feel his warm reassuring pat on my back again. Many times this past year when Bill was sick, I wanted to hear him say, "It's going to be okay." Then I remember that I have a Daddy God who I can go to at any time for a warm hug, a warm Word. I can close my eyes and sit in His lap with His arms around me, shielding me from the struggles life presents me. He loves me all the time. Then He gives me a peace that my earthly father (Gpa) could only give me a glimpse of. What would I do without Daddy GOD? HE gave his life for me. He loves you and me, and that is what I would like to leave you (us) with today. TIA Jules
Jenny,
This post got me crying too. I love that guy! What a beautiful heart! I look forward to spending time with him in the future - I never had a relationship with my grandparents and so I really adopted him as mine.
I am looking forward to following your posts here.
Blessings,
Rob
Jenny, you are an excellent writer! I cannot believe I never knew...
I loved this entry, the story made me a little misty-eyed as well as some of the other readers. I can totally relate.. But listen, next time you go to grab some coffee, call me. We can cry together :)
Hey, what are friends for?
Post a Comment