Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Lawn Boy and the Sod Debacle



If you don't know, my husband is frugal when it comes to projects that he thinks he can do himself. For the last month, he's been working on our yard and landscaping projects. He says he's saved $25,000 by erecting his own retaining walls, clearing out the yard and hauling around dirt, planting trees and shrubs himself, and.......hiring help from Craig's list. The "Yahoos," as Jeff calls them, helped a few hours with the retaining wall and dug all the holes for the trees in our front yard. There are some signs of irresponsibility and we-don't-have regular-jobs sort of attitude; as evidenced by showing up 1-2 hrs late for a project, and leaving early when payment was given up front.

Well, Jeff had saved up all his landscaping hours just for this weekend. The sod laying event.

He hired 4 guys from Craig's list, all of whom had worked here before. The sod was delivered at 7:30 Saturday morning, and Jeff called the Yahoos to see where they were (they said they'd show up at 7am.) At 7:30 they said they'd be here in a half hour. At eight they didn't answer the phone for the rest of the day.

So.......Jeff and Jenny start rolling out and positioning sod in the yard. As each semi truck load arrived we became more and more depressed and desperate. Sod cannot live very long without water, so it has to be laid out and watered within 24 hours. Jeff was on the phone calling everyone he knew to see if anyone could help. Finally a friend came through!

Jeff and I laid the back yard, and Jeff and Bill did most of the front. Today Ben came over and helped finish up the rest. Thank God!!!!! My arms and legs were like jello last night. I had black dirt caked under every finger and toe nail, in my hair, all over my legs............ We were all dirt balls.

The thing I can't believe is how Jeff just keeps going and going. When he has a project to do, he is so determined to see it through and finish it. I think I would've given up.

Now we just pray that it all takes. It needs water badly! It is nice to see green and not brown dust. Macie likes to run around in it too!!!! Perhaps now we'll be ready to have a party!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow! I wish we lived closer! Tony could have come over and helped! Well I'm glad you got SOME help and can't wait to see the finished project! I bet you slept pretty good after that!

Erin said...

And it's not like your lawn is tiny...holy moly!! Glad Jeff is determined because that looks like a BIG job! Can't wait to see it.

Jina said...

I bet my bro learned his lesson not to hire Yahoos anymore!!