Sunday, May 25, 2008

New


Our front-yard rainbow, as seen today.





Last Wednesday night, Jeff and I looked at lab puppies. We think that we would like the company of another dog. We looked, and it's hard not to be smitten with puppies. We almost drove home with a sweet little black pup. We decided to take our time in deciding, and we still really miss Lucky. That night especially, we wanted her back. We didn't want a new puppy, but our old friend and buddy back home with us.

We are waiting 3-4 weeks until another litter of pups is old enough for new parents, then we'll adopt a new member into our family. Not to replace, but perhaps to distract from the grief that is still here, where our dog is not.



We've spent this long holiday weekend alone. Cleaning, pushing dirt, changing flat tires on big machinery etc.... We had dinner on the front porch last night, and found ourselves a new friend. A white kitty with a black tail and a black eye. She is battered, her left eye and ear injured from a previous battle with nature. We offered her moist prescription dog food, and she hung around for a while. We haven't thought of a name for our straggly friend yet. I'm sure that will be coming soon.




Jeff has still been using the Skidster in the yard. He fell into a little bad luck this weekend when the loaned-from-a-friend skidster: #1 got stuck in the yard, and #2 had a flat tire. He's also taken to the nickname "Pigpen," you know, from Charlie Brown???? He leaves a trail of dust and dirt behind him where ever he goes!!! This too shall pass................

A year ago we were up north at the cabin with Jeff's parents. We had just transferred our 2 frozen embryos, and we were so hopeful for the future. My how a year goes by! It feels good to be back to my "old" self. Or "new" self, I don't know which. I feel like the present me has made peace with the past. So, I suppose I'm new. With that peace comes a hesitancy to make future attempts at biological baby-making. I'm not sure if I'll be skeptical or entirely hopeful again. Perhaps a mix of both. Ironically, this year we have an appointment with a new IVF MD on our 8th wedding anniversary.

New is hard. New is difficult. But new is good, refreshing, renewing, beneficial.

New.

Nuevo.

3 comments:

Jina said...

We are hopefull for you guys. We miss you and love you lots. The rainbow pic is beautiful!

The Carr Family said...

Not to push, but Tony and Shallyn Dybdahl have puppies that are ready to go right now, and they are ADORABLE... Kalleigh is smitten and was reduced to tears several times this weekend after begging her Daddy for a new puppy. She is such an animal lover that it was hard to say no to her. But they are yellow labs and some are yellow and dark red... TOO CUTE for words...

ASK said...

waht a beautiful pic.