Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Insomniac Tribute

I can't sleep. The words floating around in my head won't let me rest until they have their place on this page. I'm thinking about my grandma. Grandma Joyce. My Dad's mom. I'm thinking of her because she just celebrated her 85th year of life, and for some reason I can't get her attributes and characteristics out of my head tonight.

She is a woman of many wonders. She is a wonder mother. The youngest and only daughter, she married a soldier of WWII, and birthed their first son while he was away on the European Front. She later went on to bear 11 more (yes, a total of 12!) children. Her second born was premature because of placenta abruptio, and the doctor told her she would never have more children! Her last two children were twins. I think the count for grandchildren is around 37, and the great-grandchildren is around 15. She never forgets a birthday, whether you are a blood relative or not, you will get a card in the mail.

She is a fighter. She's got a little determination. She saw her husband through the years of alcoholism, and later recovery and sobriety. She is a dedicated woman to her family and children.

She is a foodie. No cool whip or margarine for her. She is known as the ultimate cook in our family. Her "no-recipe whole wheat bread" is one of her signatures; her potato salad, turkey dressing and Christmas pfefferneuse are also some goodies. Homemade is her middle name. No substitutes or pre-fab food for her. Canning, freezing, butchering....she's done it all.

She is a dancer. Spry and agile to this day, she enjoys physical activity. I hear stories of she and Grandpa "going dancing" when their children were younger. For every big wedding anniversary they've celebrated with a dance. They've been married almost 65 years!

She is all inclusive. She would never turn anyone away. You, your boyfriend, your boyfriend's friend, your ex-spouse and his family, etc.... If you're there, you're family. You're included. There is always room at the table. She epitomizes love and hospitality.

I am her first grand-daughter, I've always felt this special connection between us. Like our souls are made of similar ingredients. I know she loves me more than I realize, until I'm one day a grandma. But I love her too. And I'm so blessed for her being a part of my life, and my upbringing, and my heritage.

So.....I guess I had to get that out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This says it all! A remarkable women, mother, mother-in-law & grandmother. A role model that is hard to follow!! Tenacity comes to mind!!
A great tribute Jen!! You've got a bit of her blood.
Mom

Michelle said...

You have such a wonderful way with words Jenny. I'm sure any grandmother could not be any happier if their granddaughter said that about them.

Erin said...

You should consider writing a book. What a nice tribute to your grandma...she is an inspiration for future mothers!

Anonymous said...

You have made me cry for 3rd time today...I think it is the tributes that get to me... Grethe had a friend from SDSU who delivered a baby with Trisomy 18... She lived for 2-1/2 months--- and I was reading their caringbridge website where the dad had written her eulogy... I made the mistake of reading it at school during my lunch hour... needless to say I was reduced to thinking of our girls, and how I get to go home and love them up when I get home at night, no matter how terrible the day... I am getting off track.
Back to Grandma Joyce. We -abigail and I saw grandma and grandpa in Maynards tonight and Abigail being the little lover she is immediately saw them ran to them and dished out big sloppies (kisses)...Even the littlest souls are affected by the love and aura she(they) radiate/s/. I am lucky to have been given the opportunity to get to know the ultimate mother, friend, grandmother, great grandmother. She is the epitome of love, compassion and homemade goodness!